Speech and Language Therapy
In the „Speech and Language Therapy” Bachelor study programme the students acquire the technically-methodical, socio-communicative and self-confidence as well as scientific expertise, which is necessary for work in the speech therapy profession. The skills are taught within the framework of a scientifically based education in connection with practical training at the University of Applied Sciencees Upper Austria and at work placements.
As well as expertise in technical methodology, the students acquire socio-communicative skills such as conflict management, the ability of self-reflection, team, capacity for teamwork, role distance etc. Furthermore they learn the fundamental concepts of scientific work. In the accompanying internship the student is offered the opportunity to realise and to intensify the acquired know-how under expert guidance.
The study programme is divided into modules, which are partly offered on an inter-disciplinary basis. The curriculum is characterised by a balance between in-depth theoretical education, science and work experience. Graduates of the study programme are in a position, to expertly carry out the allocated tasks, while combining the know how from the various disciplines. They have learned to act reflectively and autonomously in their professional daily routine and to act in accordance with their code of conduct.
The focus of the study is speech therapy related subjects such as
- diagnostics and therapies of
- language acquisition disorders,
- neurologically-related language- and speaking disorders,
- disorders in the cranio-facio-oral area,
- hearing disorders,
- voice disorders,
- oral fluency disorders and
- disorders in connection with reading, writing and mathematics.
Furthermore the students also acquire a general and job-related medical basis as well as the relevant contents of diverse reference sciences, e.g.
- anatomy, physiology and pathology
- dentistry and orthodontics
- psychology and pedagogics
- communication and conversational skills
- breathing-, voice- and speech education