Speech and Language Therapy is concerned with communication disorders. Graduates diagnose and treat disorders in the fields of articulation, speech, breathing, voice, orofacial functions, Hearing abilities and perception.
Brief programme profile
In the „Speech and Language Therapy” Bachelor study programme the students acquire the technically-methodical, socio-communicative and self-confidence as well as scientific expertise, which is necessary for work in the speech therapy profession. The skills are taught within the framework of a scientifically based education in connection with practical training at the University of Applied Sciencees Upper Austria and at work placements.
As well as expertise in technical methodology, the students acquire socio-communicative skills such as conflict management, the ability of self-reflection, team, capacity for teamwork, role distance etc. Furthermore they learn the fundamental concepts of scientific work. In the accompanying internship the student is offered the opportunity to realise and to intensify the acquired know-how under expert guidance.
The study programme is divided into modules, which are partly offered on an inter-disciplinary basis. The curriculum is characterised by a balance between in-depth theoretical education, science and work experience. Graduates of the study programme are in a position, to expertly carry out the allocated tasks, while combining the know how from the various disciplines. They have learned to act reflectively and autonomously in their professional daily routine and to act in accordance with their code of conduct.
The focus of the study is speech therapy related subjects such as
- diagnostics and therapies of
- language acquisition disorders,
- neurologically-related language- and speaking disorders,
- disorders in the cranio-facio-oral area,
- hearing disorders,
- voice disorders,
- oral fluency disorders and
- disorders in connection with reading, writing and mathematics.
Furthermore the students also acquire a general and job-related medical basis as well as the relevant contents of diverse reference sciences, e.g.
- anatomy, physiology and pathology
- dentistry and orthodontics
- psychology and pedagogics
- communication and conversational skills
- breathing-, voice- and speech education
It is the aim of speech and language therapy to investigate, diagnose and treat disorders of comprehension, spoken and written language, speech, breathing, voice, mouth function, hearing, swallowing and perception, which can occur in all age groups. Speech and language therapists draw up a therapy target based on the examination and diagnosis and a suitable therapy plan. They apply all methods to suit the patients and target and advise the patients as well as those around them. The therapy thus takes into consideration methodical, social and inter-personal aspects and therefore helps to enable the optimum reintegration of the affected person into their daily routine and job.
Speech and language therapists have a wide spectrum of methods from various scientific disciplines, e.g. from medicine, linguistics, psychology and pedagogics.
- outpatients clinics
- rehabilitation centres
- kindergartens and schools
- counselling centres
- old people‚Äôs homes and nursing homes
- facilities for people with special needs
- own surgery or practice or group practices
The graduation of this Bachelor Programme entitles the graduate to participate in professional, but also in management or pedagogical Master Programmes in the field of the health professions. It is also possible to do further master and doctorate studies in Austria or abroad.
Skills & Interests
Students should have the following abilities and strengths:
- contact and communication skills
- enjoy working with people
- ready for immediate use with healthy, sick and disabled people
- fundamental medical interest
- patience, empathy and good observation skills
- high degree of responsibility and reliability
- mental and physical capacity
- rhythmic-musical competence
- proper hearing
- healthy speaking voice
- correct articulation
- good ability to express oneself
The minimum age for the Bachelor-Programme is 18 years; there is no maximum age limit.
1 January to 31 März 2020
Dates for the written test
3 April 2020